Work as a Locum GP
Working as a Locum GP in the Northern Territory (NT) is varied, interesting and challenging. You can enjoy a lifestyle others dream about for as little as two weeks or longer if you desire. The rewards are great and there are opportunities to really make a difference.
You have the skills, just pack your sense of adventure.
GPs have the option to apply to join the NT pool of locums (servicing NT locations only) or if you wish to provide locums in other states, then you can join the national locum pool. Once you have indicated your preference, our Locum Coordinator will discuss options with you.
Current list of Locum GP Vacancies - Link
- Provision of a current copy of your resume and two clinical referees
- Vocationally Registered or Fellow of the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM) or Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- Provision of a current Criminal History Check (covering the previous 10 years)
- Working with Children Clearance 'Ochre Card'
- Have an ABN or able to obtain one
- Have Current Medical Indemnity Insurance (please provide evidence)
- Provision of Certified copies of your Current Medical Registration and Photo ID (passport or drivers license)
- Participate in an interview with GPNNT’s Clinical Services Advisor and Locum Coordinator
Conditions - contracted (short term) Locum
- The locum is sub-contracted to provide GP Locum Services in agreed locations throughout the Northern Territory.
- Payment of $5,000 /week (based on a 5 day working week, with minimal on-call) or $1000/day plus GST.
- Travel and accommodation will be paid for to and from the GP's nearest capital city/Regional Centre (Australia only) incl taxi receipts.
- Accommodation is provided in the community. Car availability is dependent on where you go.
- Copies of the CARPA, Woman's Business Manual, Binan Goonj and Tropical Health Manuals are provided
- The Locum Coordinator will organise all travel, land permits, and Medicare provider numbers
- Be available for a minimum of 2 – 4 weeks placement
To register your interest in becoming a locum GP in the NT, please contact Laura Goldstone, Locum Coordinator on +61 8 8982 1064 or firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the Locum Registration Form.
Working with children clearance
Please be aware that a Working with Children Clearance ‘Ochre Card’ is required from 1st July 2011. If you do not hold an Ochre card the locum placement cannot go ahead. Further information is available at www.workingwithchildren.nt.gov.au
Read stories from GPs who have sampled the NT Locum experience.
Doctor expands her skills in the Top End, Dr Karen Fuller (pdf 330kb)
From locum to leader – how Tassie doctor took on the Top End, Dr Louise Harwood (pdf 403kb)
View short movies with locum GPs working in the NT communities of Galiwin'ku and Kintore
NT Department of Health
Rural Health Workforce Australia
Rural GP Locum Program
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
Australian Taxation Office
Top End Tourism
Central Australian Tourism
For further information or to be added to GPNNT’s fortnightly locum email list please contact Laura Goldstone, Locum Coordinator on +61 8 8982 1064 or email@example.com
Rural GP Locum Program
The National locum program is coordinated by Rural Health Workforce Australia and administered by General Practice Network NT.
GPNNT acknowledges the financial support of the Rural Health Workforce Australia and Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing.